Institute for Research in Innovation, Sustainability & Entrepreneurship
The Institute for Research in Innovation, Sustainability & Entrepreneurship (UCMiRISE) is a faculty initiative aiming at spearheading development and growth to fight poverty and foster prosperity through research.
- California’s future is intimately related to the San Joaquin Valley’s successful and rapid escape from poverty.
- High expectations and hope exist for UC Merced as the engine for the Valley’s transformation and socio-economic growth.
- iRISE will expedite UC Merced’s effects on the Valley’s prosperity and help establish Merced’s leadership status in stimulating growth in the Valley.
Regional concerns with global significance:
- Development and growth through innovation and entrepreneurship
- Environmental sustainability
- Wealth and inequality
- Social entrerprise
- Microfinance and crowdfunding
- Workforce development
- Political initiatives and governance
- Food processing
- Small business administration, especially in low-income and under-represented communities
- Economics of energy and water management
- Agribusiness and agricultural product processing
- Social enterprises for workforce development of the unemployed and underemployed
- Winery operations and wine economics
- Precision agriculture (e.g. drones)
- Transference/translation of tech from Silicon Valley to San Joaquin Valley (lowering operational costs)
- The Green Economy as a transformer of poor communities